8 Jan

What You Need to Know About Residential Tenancy

get an accessible accommodationResidential tenancy is a type of rental agreement which gives you rights under the Residential Tenancies Act of 2010 and Residential Tenancies Regulation of 2010. These acts will set an agreement between you and your proprietor to make sure both parties fulfil their responsibilities. Read this guideline to know more about it:

Moving In

If you want to get an accommodation in Toowong or any other suburb of Brisbane, you can pay a key deposit to inspect the area. The lessor, agent, or manager should refund the money upon your return of the key. If they ask for security or linen deposits, these should be part of a bond.

At the start of your tenancy, you’ll need to pay a rental bond. This acts as a security deposit, which the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)will lodge through a Bond Lodgement (Form 2). Make sure to ask if the electricity, gas, and water are part of the calculation. This way, you won’t have to deal with additional charges.

Fill out the Entry Condition Report (Form R1) to make sure that the apartment is in good condition when you move in. It’ll serve as proof that you didn’t damage anything. This way, you won’t have to pay for any repair expenses should problems arise.

Moving Out

Residential tenancy can end in three ways:1) when the contract ends, 2) when both parties agree to end the contract before expiration, and 3) because of lodging issues. These include abandonment, death, multiple instances of breach of agreement, or an order by the tribunal. Make sure to submit a Notice of Intention to Leave (Form R13) and return the keys properly.

An Exit Condition Report (Form 14a) is necessary as well. After leaving, the lessor or agent will inspect the area to make sure that your report is accurate. Keep a copy and take photos or videos to support its content. This way, you’ll have proof in case they call you for questioning.

If you’re looking for an accommodation in Toowong or any other part of Brisbane, it’s advisable to get a residential tenancy instead of booking hotel rooms. This is ideal if you’re planning to explore the city and stay for a considerably long time.